Zoning Board of Appeals Members Needed
Oscoda Township is filling 1 regular ZBA vacancy and 1 alternate ZBA vacancy for 2023.
To provide an avenue of appeal, each state’s zoning enabling acts required that any community which adopted a zoning ordinance have a zoning board of appeals. The function of the ZBA was to be a quasi-judicial body, to carry out two principal functions:
- To hear and decide appeals of administrative decisions made in implementing the zoning ordinance; and
- To hear and decide requests for variances from the strict terms of the zoning ordinance. In addition, the ZBA is occasionally called upon to interpret the provisions of the zoning ordinance.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES There are no minimum skills and abilities that an applicant must have to be appointed as a Zoning Board of Appeals member, however, the following list has been identified as those skills and abilities that make a quality Zoning Board of Appeals;
- Attention to detail
- Ability to think in abstract terms
- Willingness to listen and learn;
- Willingness (obligation) to contribute (speak in a public forum);
- A rudimentary understanding of the Zoning Ordinance;
- Ability to read and understand plans, ordinances, and other municipal documents;
- Ability to attend regular meetings held on the third Monday of every month at 6 PM.
All applications can be emailed to email@example.com