Bookmark & Share  

Clerks Office

The Clerk’s office performs our duties so that we can best serve the needs of the citizens. Please refer to the following list for staff names and telephone numbers. We are here to serve you and look forward
to helping you in any way we can. If you encounter any problems or concerns, please contact John Nordeen directly.

Joshua Sutton, Clerk

Shelly Kimsel, Deputy Clerk


110 S. State Street, Oscoda, MI 48750

Oscoda Township Offices are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm.

1. Keep and maintain all official Township records.
All original records are kept on file in the Clerk’s Office or other secure facility. This includes Township policies, procedures, ordinances, resolutions, vehicle titles, and many other documents.

2. The Clerk is a required signer, along with Township Supervisor, on all Township contracts.
This includes employee agreements, contracts for services, and any other legal document.

3. Accounts Payable
The Clerk is one of the two required signers on all Township checks.

4. Preparation and maintenance of all Board of Trustee meeting agendas and official minutes.
The Clerk prepares the official minutes and publishes them in accordance with the law. 
All postings are done in accordance with the Open Meetings Act.

5. The Clerk’s office is responsible for all local, county, state and federal elections.

6. Process Freedom of Information Act requests
The Clerk's office is responsible for processing all freedom of information act requests. Upon receipt of a request, the document is routed to the proper department for review and follow-up.

7. Publication of all legal notices, documents, and meeting minutes.
The Clerk's office is responsible for the publication of all legal notices, documents and Board of Trustee Meeting Minutes in a local newspaper. We utilize the services of the Oscoda Press Newspaper.

Election Information
The Charter Township of Oscoda Clerk's Office is accepting
applications for Poll Workers. Call or visit the Clerk’s office for
more information or for an application.
Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register to vote?
Registrations are taken at the Clerk's Office during regular business hours. You may also register to vote at any Secretary of State Office in Michigan or visit: Michigan Secretary of State Office’s website

Where do I vote?
Your voting poll is shown on your voter ID card. Please contact the Clerk's Office 989-739-4971 if you have questions.

How do I obtain an absentee ballot?
There is an application process to obtain an absentee ballot by calling our office at 989-739-4971. 

Your ballot will be mailed to any address you request the day we receive your signed application.

The law no longer allows us to automatically mail absentee ballot applications to everyone 60 years and older.

What identification do I need to show at the polls?
Due to a recent court ruling every Michigan voter who offers to vote in the polls must comply with the requirement by showing picture identification or signing an affidavit attesting that he or she is not in possession of picture identification. (See MCL 158.523 for picture identification requirement)

Voters with picture identification:
Voters can satisfy the picture identification requirement by showing a Michigan driver's license or a Michigan personal identification card.

Voters who do not possess either document may show any of the following forms of picture identification as long as they are current:
Driver'slicense or personal identification card issued by another state.
Federal or State government issued photo identification.
U.S. Passport
Military identification card with photo.
Student identification with photo from a high school or an accredited institution of higher education.
Tribal identification card with photo.

Voters without picture identification:
Michigan election law anticipates that not all voters will have picture identification. Voters who do not bring picture identification to the polls or do not possess picture identification
can vote like any other voter by signing an affidavit.

Questions regarding the picture identification requirement can be directed to the Township Clerk's Office.

For more election related FAQs and information, please visit Michigan Department of State at

Notary Service:
The Clerk's Office provides notary services to residents free of charge. A Notary is actually witnessing you sign a document, and not verifying the accurateness of the document being signed. Please do NOT PRE-SIGN your documents before coming into a notary's office. If you need a "Certified True Copy" of a document, you need to go to the place of origin to obtain it. A notary cannot certify a true copy of a document. If you have any questions, email John Nordeen at or call 989-739-4971.

Cemetery Information:
The Charter Township of Oscoda maintains Pinecrest Cemetery. Please contact the Clerk’s office for availability and pricing of cemetery lots and services.


In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex, familial status, sexual orientation, and reprisal.  (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs).

To file a complaint of discrimination, write to: USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410, Washington, DC 20250-9410. Or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (English Federal-relay) or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish Federal-relay). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

 © 2011 - 2021   Oscoda Township Design by: New Moon Visions Brand Development and Marketing ~ Site by: AccuNet Web Service